Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Song Challenge Day 5 - A Song That Reminds You Of Someone

I can't help it, but this is another Dirty Dancing song.... what can I say? Let me explain...

It was not the 1963 Catskills, but 1987 Wells Beach, Maine. I was 10, turning 11 years old that summer. It was my first summer up in Maine at a campground my grandparents regularly visited. They thought it would be a great place to bring me, my sisters and my cousins for summer vacation. I met some great friends there (that I still talk with to this very day), but of all the people I met, Sean was the one that caught my eye... My nana introduced me to the whole staff as she showed me around that first day. Once she introduced me to Sean, I knew I would enjoy my summer there. I may have been a young, naive, almost-11 year old girl, but I knew instantly Sean was the cutest guy I had ever seen... We got to know each other well that summer and the future summers I spent there (several of us were regulars every year). We even became pen-pals for many years (remember when you wrote a letter before there was the internet?).

It may have been just puppy love (after all he is 8 years older than me!), but I always felt that the coincidence of Dirty Dancing coming out that same summer I met Sean was very special to me.... Sean will always be my "Johnny".


No comments:

Post a Comment