Sunday, July 22, 2012

In Loving Memory... For you, Dennis

It's been three years, on January 20th to be exact, that a dear friend of mine died in Afghanistan. I spoke about him a bit in my previous 4th of July post. Not a day goes by that we don't miss him.... 


All the years we spent together, there was always music involved - talking about it, listening to it, sharing random musical fun facts, debating on who was the best band of all time.... VH1 Classic was the channel always playing on the tv at our friend's house, many times the songs playing on Metal Mania and Headbanger's Ball sparking some of these debates. So strange to think back now to those times knowing he is no longer with us...


My best friend, Melissa and I wanted to honor our friend in the best way we knew how. Dennis was a huge Iron Maiden fan, all the way to the end. Melissa and I had talked about getting tattoos to honor and remember him. After much debate, deciding what to get done and finding the right time to do it, our wish finally came true two days ago on the anniversary of his passing. Everything seemed to finally come together, and the timing of his anniversary seemed most fitting to the occasion. 


So on we went to meet with our tattoo artist Rod Whitesinger at Disciple Tattoo in Chandler, AZ to get inked with the lyrics from Hallowed Be Thy Name.... "Catch my soul, it's willing to fly away, Mark my words, believe my soul lives on, Don't worry now that I have gone, I've gone beyond to seek the truth....". Melissa and I played a bit with the verse order, but here are the final results.


Back of my left shoulder:






Left side of Melissa's stomach:



I know Dennis can't come back to us, but at least now he will truly always be a part of us... Always to love, never to be forgotten. 



No comments:

Post a Comment