Thursday, July 5, 2012

Catch My Soul, It's Willing To Fly Away.....

On this 4th of July, I've been thinking of a very dear friend, Dennis, that we lost three years ago to the war in Afghanistan. Before he moved and joined the army, we hung out all the time with two other friends of ours. The four of us were very close and have so many memories together. My favorite was one particular 4th of July....


Dennis and I were at our friends' house barbecuing in the afternoon. Later that night, I remember sitting on the roof of our friends' house watching fireworks in the distance - we must have seen 6 or 7 different set of fireworks going on that night all over the Phoenix metro area. I sat on the lower part of their roof that was level and felt safe, but Dennis jogged up to the top of the steep, angled roof with his young daughter in his arms without hesitation or fear. 


Tonight I sat on that same roof and looked back to the spot I last saw Dennis standing.... Still so strange that he is gone from our lives. I miss him so much. As if that weren't enough to think of him, driving home I heard an Iron Maiden song, Hallowed Be Thy Name, on the radio. 






"..... Catch my soul, it's willing to fly away, mark my words, believe my soul lives on, don't worry now that I have gone, I've gone beyond to seek the truth.... ". The very words my best friend and I are going to have tattooed later this month on the 3rd anniversary of Dennis' passing. Dennis was the biggest Iron Maiden fan. I can't think of a better way to honor him and never forget how much he meant to us.... to me.


I dedicate this post to Dennis ~~ May he forever live on in our memories and our hearts ~~











No comments:

Post a Comment